Samsung Galaxy S2 Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
    Yeah, tabs are bigger, so they have more space to place necessary modules. Like what I have mentioned before, my wife's Galaxy Tab 7 locks pretty fast, puts my S2 to shame. Recently, my sister bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and as expected, locks pretty fast too, similar to the Tab 7.
    Try updating to 2.3.5, you'll get faster locks on your SGS2

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
      Yeah, tabs are bigger, so they have more space to place necessary modules. Like what I have mentioned before, my wife's Galaxy Tab 7 locks pretty fast, puts my S2 to shame. Recently, my sister bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and as expected, locks pretty fast too, similar to the Tab 7.
      Yep. Same here. My Asus Transformer locks faster as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

so i guess thats just it- tablets owing to their form factor will always have better gps locking than smartphones.

Comment

My brother discovered that if you do not turn the gps off on android devices, it gets satellite locks crazy fast, as in less than 10 seconds on average, with tall buildings around, it will take a bit longer, about 20 seconds, still fast imo. My brother uses a HTC desire HD, and I use a S2, so I guess this will work on most android devices.

My setup is Ki3 2.3.5 rom, with Ki3 modem.
          Under settings/location and security...
          "use wireless networks" is unchecked
          "Use gps satellites" and "Use sensor aiding" is checked
          My 3g data is always off.
          No gps assisting apps installed.
          I even changed my ntp servers back to north america instead of asia and it still gets a lock in 10 seconds.
          Software used is Navitel and google maps.

I've tested this extensively, whenever I turn gps on only when needed, lock times went back to 3 minutes again. If I keep gps always on, lock times were consistently under 10 seconds. I even tried not using it the whole day, then went to cavite the next day and turned on navitel in cavite, got a lock in 10 seconds flat.

Weird thing is if you check the "use wireless networks" checkbox, even with gps on all the time, locktimes went back to 3 minutes, so I keep that box unchecked.

What about battery drain with gps on all the time? Negligible, if there was added drain, I didn't notice it during my one week of testing.

Comment

Interesting find. I always keep my gps on so I can't compare.
            But I think that if it is left on it could be downloading new data that's why it connects faster

Comment

hmmmm I will try that out one of these days. I always turn off GPS when I don't use it. I got so used to turning it off on all my previous Windows Mobile units since it got hot and drained the batteries. I didn't think about leaving it on with my S2 because of this. Well, it is a different OS now so I'll try it, thanks!

Comment

for the sgs2 and most android phones i think, the gps is only activated when a program needs it, so it doesnt waste any battery when leaving it on.
                although i do think that leaving it on allows it to download the latest agps data

Comment

There is drawback though, for one, even if it gets a lock very fast, the accuracy is off, I experienced it today, it put my location into the opposite lane of edsa, and had trouble figuring out the route since I was traveling in the other direction.

Another thing is it only works if "use wireless networks" is unchecked, whenever the facebook app is launched, it will try to get your location, grrrrrr, and since "use wireless networks" is unchecked, facebook will try to get your location using GPS, if you are indoors, the GPS icon will just blink and blink unable to get a satellite fix, eventually when you do need it outdoors, satellite lock has gone back to 3 minutes again. I eventually stopped using the FB app and just use the browser instead.

Comment

its initial accuracy is similar to what i used to get with the modified inf. it improves over time, after 2 minutes or so i think.

regarding the fb app, never used it. heard it sucks battery like hell amongst other issues. i use the browser and switch between mobile and desktop user agents.

Comment

What version of Navitel are you using? I installed 3.5.0.1400 and its foreclosing on mine. Using VillainRom 3.0 (2.3.5)

Comment

Deguu, I use version 5.0.1.846 (though I'm still at stock KF1 rooted). Travelbug uses VillainRom, maybe you might want to ask him.

Comment

In one of the threads here, it was suggested to use ver 3.5 at the moment. Any significant bugs/functionality loss you encountered so far with ver 5?

Comment

Originally posted by Deguu View Post
                            What version of Navitel are you using? I installed 3.5.0.1400 and its foreclosing on mine. Using VillainRom 3.0 (2.3.5)
                            Version 3.5 runs only on froyo 2.2, for gingerbread 2.3.3 and up use the 5.xxx versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Deguu View Post
                              In one of the threads here, it was suggested to use ver 3.5 at the moment. Any significant bugs/functionality loss you encountered so far with ver 5?
                              Yes, as Monkeyking said, ver. 3.5 is for Froyo only. Ver. 5 is needed for Gingerbread.

Comment

A bit ot, but has anyone here installed ics?

Comment

Working...
                                X