CarNavi reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garmine View Post
    I agree with both of you. Nuvi is far far better.
    It is pointless continuing this thread.
    No offense but may I suggest to delete this thread or put it in archive.
    lets not delete this...it would surely help others to decide.
    FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
      lets not delete this...it would surely help others to decide.
      i agree.

Comment

just my two cents worth:

i earnestly hope that we dont have any "fanboy" mentality and attitude here with respect to the gps units and brands

different brands will suit different needs for different people and the least we can all do is to respect the individual's choice and trust that this forum will offer the most objective and scientific reviews possible

i am sure that this forum would like nothing more than to attract the most number of brands of gps units as possible to expand the contributor base

Comment

Originally posted by iceColdgin View Post
          just my two cents worth:

i earnestly hope that we dont have any "fanboy" mentality and attitude here with respect to the gps units and brands

different brands will suit different needs for different people and the least we can all do is to respect the individual's choice and trust that this forum will offer the most objective and scientific reviews possible

i am sure that this forum would like nothing more than to attract the most number of brands of gps units as possible to expand the contributor base

"fanboy mentality"? hmmm. i think not.
          we are all old enough to decide for ourselves. well, just as i have said in my previous post, i haven't tried it yet, so i just gave my own opinion on why i have chosen to use nuvi. and again as previously mentioned, i (we) respect other's opinion. it is still up to the individual to decide what suits him best. it is just wise to seek opinion on both sides. i think you have heard nuvi side, maybe look also opinion on the carnavi side. then, decide. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by iceColdgin View Post
            just my two cents worth:

Respecting one's opinion is different with giving correct information.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

OT post deleted
              Last edited by iceColdgin; 03-03-2010, 23:02.

Comment

As they say. Get a nuvi. Contribute. Dowload the roadguide map. Its far more way better than that.

Comment

so far, only one carnavi owner (raymond) has shared his experience

hope there are others so that we can all make an objective assessment and judgment of this GPS unit for the added useful information of all forumers

Last edited by iceColdgin; 03-05-2010, 06:24.

Comment

Tested it for a while in a car shop located in las pinas. It made me regret purchasing my nuvi 205... Since my goal was only search and go. The stylus is okay.
                    Besides I have big rough fingers. Touching on the Nuvi 205 tends to also get irritating. My mom has no problems pressing them though. Not to mention I don't touch the GPS anyway while driving as this is dangerous and may lead to accidents.

A big plus with the map is also the landmarks. While driving you can see without touching that you are passing by a gas station such as shell or a big land mark such as southmall. In my nuvi nothing is displayed but the road only. Although in the nuvi you can also check to know what landmark it is by touching on the blank/square/symbol area but then you have to browse map again which is annoying besides sometimes I find it also terribly irritating to hit the symbol of a bank/airport/gas station since you have to really hit it and will not register if you miss the spot. It also doesn't show any arrows if I am on the correct lane or a one way street.

The big reason I purchased my nuvi is because I needed something to navigate within he city and in rural areas. Upon purchasing the nuvi 205 I tried using the search function. But to my disappointment did not work since OSM map doesn't support the feature but at least showed me where I was and on what street I am.

Another option is to become probably a contributor and then being able to use the search function. I mean what is the worth of a GPS without a decent map? How do we intend to use them in a car? Most would use the search function and then simply click GO. POI is not a big concern compared to a complete road map including rural areas.

My purpose for purchasing a GPS was to do the things mentioned above. Search address and go. However this is possible also with garmin and roadguide map as I heard.

The end verdict comes.... Would you like to have fun in helping make a map? Or just skip everything because you are a busy person and purchase the unit?

In my opinion though I would have gone for the 9k. But unfortunately I was hasty and purchased the nuvi 205. Now I have to learn how to contribute to get my GPS unit to a certain usable level. But probably if budget gets better I would definitely purchase the unit for my parents as they are more unlikely to do contributions due to their age.
                    Last edited by franzhelmer; 03-05-2010, 21:43.

Comment

Originally posted by franzhelmer View Post
                      Tested it for a while in a car shop located in las pinas. It made me regret purchasing my nuvi 205... Since my goal was only search and go. The stylus is okay.
                      Besides I have big rough fingers. Touching on the Nuvi 205 tends to also get irritating. My mom has no problems pressing them though. Not to mention I don't touch the GPS anyway while driving as this is dangerous and may lead to accidents.

A big plus with the map is also the landmarks. While driving you can see without touching that you are passing by a gas station such as shell or a big land mark such as southmall. In my nuvi nothing is displayed but the road only. Although in the nuvi you can also check to know what landmark it is by touching on the blank/square/symbol area but then you have to browse map again which is annoying besides sometimes I find it also terribly irritating to hit the symbol of a bank/airport/gas station since you have to really hit it and will not register if you miss the spot. It also doesn't show any arrows if I am on the correct lane or a one way street.

The big reason I purchased my nuvi is because I needed something to navigate within he city and in rural areas. Upon purchasing the nuvi 205 I tried using the search function. But to my disappointment did not work since OSM map doesn't support the feature but at least showed me where I was and on what street I am.

Another option is to become probably a contributor and then being able to use the search function. I mean what is the worth of a GPS without a decent map? How do we intend to use them in a car? Most would use the search function and then simply click GO. POI is not a big concern compared to a complete road map including rural areas.

My purpose for purchasing a GPS was to do the things mentioned above. Search address and go. However this is possible also with garmin and roadguide map as I heard.

The end verdict comes.... Would you like to have fun in helping make a map? Or just skip everything because you are a busy person and purchase the unit?

In my opinion though I would have gone for the 9k. But unfortunately I was hasty and purchased the nuvi 205. Now I have to learn how to contribute to get my GPS unit to a certain usable level. But probably if budget gets better I would definitely purchase the unit for my parents as they are more unlikely to do contributions due to their age.
                      try our contributors map, im sure you wont regret it
                      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

I don't have any other choice So I guess i'll have to contribute.

Comment

They have 4 youtube videos.

carnavi youtube

Comment

which is better the carNavi or RG map?

Comment

This is my experience outside MM using my Carnavi
                              1.I tested my Carnavi going to our province Cuyapo Nueva Ecija so far it s its accurate on every turn. You need pass through different barrios before you reach the place and so far each turn was highlighted on the screen. Voice navigation If remember is not present in the barrio path.
                              2.I tested it going to Manoag, Its my first time to go their the direction highlighted on the screen leads even to the road going to the parking area.
                              3.Gasoline station, food station on the screen which are important during travel are so far accurate.

Raymond

Comment

This is my input on 7 line information posted by Garmine last March 2,2010. My remarks is under “My Inputs”

1. The map can be stored ONLY in the memory card (i.e. without the MC its not a GPS).
                                My inputs: As per Carnavi advice, this is where they store their protected map.. But you can store other video, add music read e-book with the unit.

2. Texts are narrow compared with Nuvi.
                                My inputs, I have never tested their 4.3” gps unit which is bigger than the and 3.5” eco series and compared the text. But I usually zoom in for map browsing to read the text. Usually the system is set to a zoom level when in driving. You can still read the gas/food/bank/establishment along the path if you car on stop mode. I tried increasing the zoom, but at some point if you are moving the unit will be bought back to the default zoom automatically. I know the default zoom can be adjusted depending on your preference. I never tested this.

3. It has a stylus (don't know if this is an advantage).
                                My inputs :For the stylus I usually use this if I need to add a point of interest. I usually use my finger to navigate and browse with their system.

4. It has a Tagalog voice (liko sa kaliwa...)
                                My inputs:I prefer the English voice prompt.

5. There are too many sub-menus (like for example when changing voice, you have to click more than 5 sub-menus).
                                My inputs: the vendor already preset the parameters on the system for you to use it immediately. For the voice, I already told them to select the English version before I left their store.

6. 3.5in model costs P9000 (comparable to nuvi 205?).
                                My inputs: Latest up-date of the Eco 300price of the unit its P9,900 . There are other brands that are even lower than this but what made me decide to buy the unit : one it has one yr warranty; two its ready to use.

7. It has a Traffic Re-routing.... Wait.. this obviously is not the Traffic rerouting used in the States. The salesperson told me its a feature where- if you see that there's traffic ahead ,you have to click on the area on the GPS where there's traffic and it will automatically re-route. (don't know the logic behind this).
                                My inputs: this option is traffic Jam under their selection, on the road I never use this option. If you change route, the unit will calculate the alternate route immediately. I played with this function once but not on the road, the unit will show you different alternate path highlighted on the screen between Point A and Point B of your destination. The has a demo selection on how you will be routed depending on what you select. Other optional feature of the unit they have a TMC which not yet supported in the Philippine and its currently used in Europe need traffic information from MMDA and a radio station that will transmit the signal. So far this what I know with the units capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X